I realize everyone’s parenting experience is different, but I for one was and still am amazed by things my children do and teach me. This post is meant to be a humorous reflection of my life as a mother so far…
No one ever told me:
- That bright red poop in a diaper is probably from kool-aid. And the emergency room doctors see it all the time.
- That peas, corn, and most of a small finger can fit nicely up a nose. It is, however, not so easy to remove.
- That all those child stages and ages (what your child should be doing now) books were obviously written by people who’d never actually had a child. And that your children will be just fine growing at their own rate.
- That you can and will survive on never sleeping for more than two hours at a time, uninterrupted, for the next 18 plus years.
- That the toy they had to have will be forgot and/ or broken within a couple weeks.
- That I would need to know how to get pen ink off the toilet seat.
- That they really can have a fever that high and survive.
- That their first word is never Mama.
- That the news is too violent and scary to watch in front of children without nightmares for the rest of the week.
- That 5 bodies can all fit and sleep in a queen size bed during thunderstorms.
- That babies can projectile poop across the room as soon as the diaper is unfastened.
- That your feet grow and your height shrinks with each baby.
- That being a mother is one of the best and most fulfilling jobs.